Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    UN experts appalled by unprecedented execution spree in Iran with over 1000 killed in nine months

    October 13, 2025

    Reza Pahlavi’s “Transition Plan” A Blueprint for Authoritarian Rule in Iran

    October 13, 2025

    Echoes of the 1980s: A Warning from a Former Political Prisoner

    August 23, 2025
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Association Of Iranian Americans in NewYork
    • Home
    • About
    • News
    • AIAINY Events
      • Events
    • Gallery
    • Videos
    • Blog
    • Contact
    Association Of Iranian Americans in NewYork
    Home»Blog»End the silence on Iran’s human rights abuses before the current crackdown worsens
    Blog

    End the silence on Iran’s human rights abuses before the current crackdown worsens

    AIAINYBy AIAINYMarch 9, 2018No Comments4 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest Telegram LinkedIn Tumblr Email Reddit
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email Copy Link

    AUGUSTA FREE PRESS

    AUGUSTA FREE PRESS   |   Moe Alafchi   |   March 6, 2018

    The nationwide protests in Iran, which began on December 28 in Mashhad, gave voice to the economic frustration of ordinary Iranians, but quickly expanded to slogans like “death to [President] Rouhani”, “death to the dictator”, and “reformists, conservatives: the game is over.” In short, the protesters were demanding democratic change in Iran.

    To no one’s surprise, Iranian authorities responded violently, with at least 8,000 arrests and upwards of 50 deaths. The predictability of the suppression should have prepared Western policymakers to respond appropriately and effectively.

    Despite such brutality, the protests have continued. Earlier this week, several Iranian cities, including Isfahan, Shiraz, Gorgan, Arak, Bandar Abbas, Bushehr, and Khorramabad were the scenes of protests, in which young people were repeating the slogans as those in the protesters in early January.

    The theocratic dictatorship has a virtually uninterrupted record of human rights abuses dating back to the immediate aftermath of the 1979 revolution. Struggling to retain its hold on power near the end of the Iran-Iraq War, then-Supreme Leader Ruhollah Khomeini issued a fatwa ordering the mass execution of prisoners deemed a political threat.

    In 1988, an estimated 30,000 political prisoners were hanged or shot after being briefly interrogated about their political affiliations. The vast majority were members of the Mujahedin-e Khalq (PMOI/MEK). But despite this effort to stamp out the leading resistance group, the MEK remained an underground force for pro-democratic activism.

    Iran’s current Supreme Leader recently took the unusual step of acknowledging the leading role played by MEK activists in the latest protests. “These incidents had been organized, and the MEK implemented the plans,” Ali Khamenei said in a speech on January 9. “The MEK had prepared for this months ago and its media outlets had called for it.”

    On January 27, the Deputy for Political Affairs for the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC), said, “The leaders and those inciting the protests.…. were from the ‘Hypocrites’ (the pejorative term with which the regime describes the MEK).

    The recent popular uprising are testaments to the fortitude of the Iranian people in the face of persistent political repression and a lack of serious support from the Western world. Europe can reclaim its human rights credentials today, if the European Parliament responds to calls for an international commission of inquiry into the ongoing human rights abuses committed against Iranian protesters and activists of every stripe.

    Reports continue to trickle out of Iran on a near-daily basis regarding people who have been tortured and killed for their contribution to the latest push for regime change. These reports will only continue to worsen as long as Europe remains silent, especially if that silence is accompanied by trade agreements and normalized relations.

    Iran’s economy is concentrated at Khamenei’s headquarters and in the hands of the Revolutionary Guards. Doing business with this regime will only fuel its killing machine and its export of war and terrorism.

    By sanctioning the regime and making business conditional upon improvements in these areas, Europe can do more than just help to mitigate the present crackdown; it can help the Iranian people to ultimately achieve their long-frustrated goals of freedom and democratic governance. That message of support can be greatly strengthened by reversing the longstanding Western silence on past crimes like the 1988 massacre.

    Representatives Michael McCaul (R-TX), Ed Royce (R-CA), and Eliot Engel (D-NY) are among the original cosponsors of H. Res. 188, which condemns the Iranian regime that incident and calls for a United Nations investigation aimed at bringing its main perpetrators to justice.

    The Resolution referred to a November 2, 2007, report by Amnesty International, which said, ‘‘between 27 July 1988 and the end of [1988], thousands of political prisoners [in Iran], including prisoners of conscience, were executed in prisons nationwide.”

    The very people responsible of the 1988 massacre are in power today and are torturing and murdering the 2018 protesters.

    The European Parliament should introduce and quickly pass a similar resolution on the 1988 massacre, and then use it as a jumping-off point for more explicit expressions of support for the Iranian Resistance and its mission to secure a free, democratic future for the Iranian nation.

    Column by Moe Alafchi. Mr. Alafchi is president of Association of Iranian-Americans in New York

     

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    AIAINY

    Related Posts

    Reza Pahlavi’s “Transition Plan” A Blueprint for Authoritarian Rule in Iran

    October 13, 2025

    Echoes of the 1980s: A Warning from a Former Political Prisoner

    August 23, 2025

    For Iranian Regime, War for Survival is Against Citizens at Home

    July 9, 2025
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

     

    Human Rights

    Iran: Conviction of Former Iranian Official over Involvement in 1988 Prison Massacres Landmark Step Towards Justice

    July 23, 2022

    Human Rights in Iran

    April 2, 2022

    Iranian activist disappears after criticizing internet bill

    March 1, 2022

    The Precarious Circumstances of Iran’s Christians

    February 27, 2022
    Don't Miss

    UN experts appalled by unprecedented execution spree in Iran with over 1000 killed in nine months

    By AIAINYOctober 13, 2025

    29 September 2025 GENEVA – Over 1000 people have been killed in less than nine months…

    Reza Pahlavi’s “Transition Plan” A Blueprint for Authoritarian Rule in Iran

    October 13, 2025

    Echoes of the 1980s: A Warning from a Former Political Prisoner

    August 23, 2025

    For Iranian Regime, War for Survival is Against Citizens at Home

    July 9, 2025

    Association of Iranian Americans in New York (AIAINY) is a non-partisan organization serving the Iranian Americans in New York. Our goal is to bridge between Iranian culture and heritage and modern day America.

    Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest YouTube WhatsApp
    Iranian Massacre

    UN urged to open query into Iran’s 1988 killings and Raisi role

    February 1, 2022

    ‘I chose beatings over solitary confinement’

    September 12, 2021

    Murder Trial in Sweden Could Shine Unsavory Light on Iran’s New President

    August 13, 2021
    Human Rights

    Iran: One of the world’s biggest prisons for journalists

    August 29, 2017

    Iran Responsible For Over Half of Executions World Over, Says Amnesty International

    May 10, 2018

    The crisis of impunity resulting from Iran’s ongoing crimes against humanity

    May 4, 2019

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.